Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Happy Birthday, Dear Daddy!



The last time I blogged was on the occasion of my parent's 63rd wedding anniversary.  As I just re-read those words I'm thankful that I shared that with them on that special occasion.  I'm thankful that I never missed an opportunity to tell my Daddy what a great Daddy he was to me, how much he influenced my life and how much I loved him.  Though he was extremely hard of hearing I made sure he heard me tell him at the end of every visit "I love you, Daddy".  At the end of every phone call to my Mom after I would tell her I loved her, knowing my Dad couldn't hear the conversation I would add, "and tell Daddy I love him too."  I'm thankful that in my last phone call with my parents as my Daddy was being rolled into surgery I told my Mom to "give Daddy a hug and tell him I love him."   I'm thankful  I told him when I could because today I'm at a loss for words.  Today is a special occasion:  It would have been my Daddy's 88th birthday but I have no words to say. Three weeks ago my Daddy experienced the best day of his life.  On May 22nd at 12:55 pm. Daddy took his last breath and woke up on the other side in the arms of Jesus.  Moments later we heard "Braham's Lullabye" being played over the hospital intercom signifying another baby was born.  Just as a mother somewhere in that hospital had been laboring to give birth, Daddy had been laboring to leave this life for a better one.  Ecclesiastes 7:1 says, "The day of death is better than the day of birth" and that was especially true for Daddy.  Everything he had lived for, labored for and hoped for was finally given him...Eternal life with Jesus, and what a precious gift that is!  So today on June 11th all I have left to say is, "Happy Birthday, Dear Daddy" and "I love you."  But of course he already knew that.

No comments:

Post a Comment