Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Our Rubber Anniversary

On July 1, 2012 Keith and I celebrated a very special occasion, our Rubber Anniversary.  I know that tradition mandates that the 25th anniversary is a Silver Anniversary and a 50th is a Golden Anniversary but was unsure of what the 35th signified until I received my gift from Keith  when he presented me with a set of four very expensive beautiful new tires to go on my old van and proclaimed, "Happy Anniversary, Honey!" and I knew then that the 35th year was our Rubber Anniversary.  After our recent blowout on I-40 I felt like this was a pretty appropriate and loving gift since we now spend practically every day of the year travelling the globe together in that old van and his thoughtful gift was only intended to keep us safely on the road together for many more years to come.  I reciprocated by going out the next day and purchasing him a new set of luggage (the last 4 years has literally worn out the old set) with a card stating I hoped to follow him around for another 35 years.  In the card I reminded him that 35 years prior I had stood before our family and friends and had promised to him in a shaky little girl's voice (I WAS a child bride!) the words of Ruth, "Whither thou goest, I will go; whither thou lodgest I will lodge; thy people shall be my people and thy God, my God."  Then I wrote the words that I told him on that hot July day so many highway exits ago, "I go where you go, amigo!"  It's been quite a journey these past 35 years...but as the song says that accompanied our exit on our wedding day, "We've only just begun to live...White lace and promises... A kiss for luck and we're on our way...We've only begun...Before the rising sun we fly...So many roads to choose...We'll start at walking and learn to run...And yes we've just begun...Sharing horizons that are new to us....Watching the signs along the way...Talking it over just the two of us....Working together day by day...Together, together...And when the evening comes we'll smile...So much of life ahead...We'll find a place where there's room to grow...And yes we've just begun...We've only just begun!"   Happy Rubber Anniversary, Sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment